Foster Falls furnace workers are pictured here. In 1890, the
American Iron and Steel Institute described the Fosters Falls
Mining and Manufacturing Company as, "One stack, 35 x 8, built
in 1881; open top; cold blast; water-power; ore, local hematite;
product, car-wheel pig iron; annual capacity, 2,500 tons. Brand
'Foster's Falls'." (Undated photo, courtesy of Chuck Vaughan. On
the original photo's backside it states: "On top, and from left
to right Crig Melton[,] James Mahone, Jim Lovell and Payton
Keith. At [b]ottom and from left to right Byram Crockett, Robert
Midkiff[,] John Vaughan[,] Jack Pawley[,] Bob Nelson and Will
Vaughan & Fred Mahone. At the tank is engine 166 there in
service on the mountain run. But later burned up in a fire that
destroyed the engine house.")